Near Kelso Scotland | scottish borders |
Villages near Kelso Scotland

Yetholm Scotland

Near Kelso Scotland UK
  |   HOME   |   LOCATION   |   HISTORY   |   FACILITIES   |   CONTACT   |  

Information on the village of Yetholm, near Kelso in Scotland.

Articles about Yetholm

Introduction to the Parish of Yetholm
A Parish and village in Roxburghshire, lying to the east of Linton and Morebattle, and adjoining Northumberland.......


The Early Peoples of the Yetholm Area
There is no set date when anyone can say that people first stayed in the area. History has been divided into named periods or 'ages'purely to make reference easier.......


The History of the Parish of Yetholm
The name of this ancient place is thought to be derived from the Anglo-Saxon Zete, gait or road, and ham, a dwelling. At present there are two towns bearing the name of Yetholm; the one at which the church is situated is called Kirk Yetholm, and the other Town Yetholm.......


History of Industry & Employment in the Parish
There are at least three sites within the main centres of population where, in former times, mills used the water of the Bowmont as the power for their working.......


Smuggling
It will be no surprise to anyone that the proximity of the parish to the border led to a thriving cross-border trade.......


Occupations of the Inhabitants
Occupations of the Inhabitants of Yetholm Parish in 1791 as recorded by Rev. William Blackie.......


History of Education in Yetholm Parish
The parish school-house, erected in 1833, is, without exception, the handsomest building of the kind in the county.......


John Baird, Education and the Gypsies
As a result of a meeting in London in 1815, the Quaker's Society started a movement aimed at improving the religious and social condition of the gypsy community in Great Britain.......


Yetholm Parish Church
The present church, which is a very handsome building, was erected in 1836, on the site of the old church, which was a long, low building, thatched with reeds, with the floor below the level of the ground.......


Yetholm Parish Church Architectural Details
The bell, clock and stained glass windows.......


Yetholm Ministers (Established Church)
Ministers of Yetholm Church from 1567 onwards.......


Yetholm Churches in the Nineteenth Century
The parish report for the Second Statistical Account, prepared by the Rev John Baird, about the year 1840, records.......


The Graveyard
Yetholm churchyard has probably been the burial place of many an ancient border chief.......


Dissenting Chapels and Other Churches
There are two dissenting chapels in the parish, both of which are in Town Yetholm.......


War Memorials
In the centre of Town Yetholm village green is the memorial to Major-General Andrew Wauchope of Niddrie, Yetholm.......


Gypsy Memorial
This memorial reminds us of the gypsy tribe who inhabited this village from the 17th century onwards.......


The Queen Inn and the Old & New Gipsy Palaces
The Old Gipsy Palace was not pulled down until the late 1880's when Burnsyde House was built on the site. .......


Cherrytrees
'occupying a very lovely situation on the east side of the vale, which extends from Beaumont round Yetholm Law, to Primside. The house is small but handsome, and the grounds are adorned with wood.'.......


The Barony of Town Yetholm
'With the exception of a small portion of land on the south of the Beaumont Water this barony lies on the north of the beautiful vale through which this stream flows.'.......


Wauchope Community Hall
Situated in Town Yetholm, the hall is in the building which was the one in which the Yetholm Border View United Presbyterians held their worship before they amalgamated with the Free Church, to become Yetholm St James' United Free Church.......


Kirk Yetholm in the Nineteenth Century
There was a baron baillie, appointed by the Marquis of Tweeddale, with the resulting right to a market and to fairs - one in July and one in October for the sale of sheep and cattle.......


Kirk Yetholm in the Twentieth Century
'Many of the houses have no water, the inhabitants having to carry their water in pails from the village pumps'.......


Places of Religious Significance in the Yetholm Area
On the Border, close to Yetholm Mains, at Humbleton Sike there was a chapel dedicated to St Etheldreda the Virgin.......


Transport and Communication
'A very neat bridge, erected last year across the Bowmont, between the villages of Town and Kirk Yetholm, is one of the greatest improvements that have taken place in the parish for many years'.......


Pennine Way and St. Cuthbert's Way
Since the Pennine Way was set up, long-distance walks have sprung up all over the country. One of the newest is St Cuthbert's Way, a sixty mile walk, which was opened in 1996, and which also passes Kirk Yetholm.......

Back to: History of Yetholm