|Near Kelso Scotland||| scottish borders ||
|| HOME | LOCATION | HISTORY | FACILITIES | CONTACT ||
Information on the village of Yetholm, near Kelso in Scotland.
In 1840, the Rev John Baird reports:
'No public conveyances, as coaches pass, etc pass through the parish. There is no post-office at present - a disadvantage that might easily be remedied. There is a communication by carriers between Kelso and Yetholm, five days a week, and more rarely with Coldstream and Berwick. The length of turnpike- road in the parish is four miles, generally kept in good repair, and managed by the trustees for the district of Kelso. There are two toll houses on these roads, both of which are let annually, by public sale, for £180. The turn-pike roads communicate with Kelso, Coldstream, Berwick, Wooler, Jedburgh, and with the coal and lime districts. The bye-roads, kept in repair by the statute-labour money, are about five miles in length. A very neat bridge, erected last year across the Bowmont, between the villages of Town and Kirk Yetholm, is one of the greatest improvements that have taken place in the parish for many years.'
All the turnpike roads of the area were constructed as a result of the 1793 Kelso Turnpike Act. Most came about as an upgrading of existing tracks and paths. According to John Mackay, in his excellently researched book, 'Border Highways', at no time did a turnpike road actually pass through Town Yetholm. The Kelso road branched off about a mile before the village, passing Cherrytrees before heading across the border. The road from Morebattle, which started at Kalemouth went to Kirk Yetholm branching just past Primside Mill, at Duncanhaugh, rather than following the existing track to Town Yetholm. The toll houses within the Parish were at Primside Mill, at Old Venchen (often referred to as Town Yetholm Mains Toll) and at Yetholm Mains ( then referred to as either Shotton Toll or Kirk Yetholm Mains Toll).
The bridge between the two villages is described in Hume's Industrial Archaeology as:
'A handsome 3-span bridge, with elliptical arches and dressed-stone arch rings and rubble spandrels and wing walls. There are a dentilated string course and modern steel railings.'
Back to: Articles